I have to report, that it turns out, that it’s really easy to make compost tea. I’d be willing to be just about anyone could do this, for how hard could it be to help something rot! Lol. I certainly didn’t have a problem at it!
And hey, it doesn’t smell all that bad! I was expecting that rank smell of old horse urine or rotting pond water, but it really didn’t get smelly at all. I’m sure that’s why the recipe calls for a bubbler.
So, here is what I did:
I used a few handfuls of good rich compost, to which I added some fermented wheat (that I’d used for Rejuvelac) and a cup of bunny alfalfa. I wrapped all that in the paint strainer bag that I got from Home Depot and suspended it in the bucket. All the while, the bubbler was running to aerate the water. Then, I added a couple tablespoons unsulfured molasses and about the same ORMUS (sea salt precipitate).
After a couple days I ended up with this:
The yeast really went to town! There was so much activity that I promptly brewed a second batch using the same bag. All I had to add was the molasses and ORMUS. It turned out just a frothy.
So far I’ve only added these ten gallons to the garden. I’ve only got little starts and the weather has been hiding the sun. Feels like winter, but the days are long. I’m sure the few plants that I’ve put out are all mixed up. Hopefully by the end of the month we’ll start getting enough sun that the plants will get out of survival mode and into grow mode!
I’m starting another five gallons today but I’m not using the sprouted wheat this time. I’m going to find out what kind of single cell organisms are going to grow this time without me priming the pump. We shall see…